Learning and Podcasts
This page gives you a list of resources that should inform practice, along with other legislative resources, advice on relevant training and Prevent.
This guidance is designed to assist practitioners and providers across agencies to understand what is meant by Making Safeguarding Personal and how to apply it to safeguarding situations.
You can listen to our 9 minute podcast, with the voice of a young person about how we aim to safeguard young people between the ages of 17.5 to 25.
This can be listened to in conjunction with our Safeguarding Young People 17.5+ Protocol.
You can also read our learning briefing which accompanies the protocol and the podcast.
Professional curiosity is the capacity and skills of communication to explore and understand what is happening for a person rather than making assumptions or accepting things at face value. It requires skills of looking, listening, asking direct questions and being able to hold difficult conversations.
Find out more about professional curiosity in the Professional Curiosity Learning Briefing.
You can also listen to our 6 minute Professional Curiosity Podcast in conjunction with reading the Learning Briefing
Self-neglect is an extreme lack of self-care, to an extent that it threatens personal health and safety, and it is sometimes associated with hoarding and may be a result of other issues such as addictions. It can sometimes be a result of underlying issues such as:
- addiction or substance misuse issues
- physical health issues
- some mental health issues
Practitioners can follow the pan-Sussex policies and procedures which have a specific section on Multi-Agency Procedures to Support Adults who Self-neglect.
The National Safeguarding Adult Review (SAR) Analysis Project has developed various briefings intended for a range of audiences. The briefings have incorporated the research findings by examining published SARs, and identifying the learning required.
- Briefing for individuals and their families - Analysis of Safeguarding Adults Reviews
- Briefing for practitioners - Analysis of Safeguarding Adults Reviews
- Briefing for Safeguarding Adults Reviews authors - Analysis of Safeguarding Adults Reviews
- Briefing for senior leaders - Analysis of Safeguarding Adults Reviews
- Briefing for Safeguarding Adult Board chairs and business managers - Analysis of Safeguarding Adults Reviews